Monday, July 23, 2012

Hello Japan!!

Hey everyone! :D

       I have arrived savely in Japan and slept for 16 hours yesterday (Sunday).Right now I am living in small Abiko City in Chiba Prefecture with my host family. The Japanese food I have gotten so far was very good and typical. I didnt take pictures at that time, so maybe google if you dont know. I haaaad... Shouyu Ramen, Tonkatsu Rice, Yakiudon, Chicken Curry.

       Today I went off to buy my train ticket, exchange some money and then did some shopping in a nearby city. I spoke (or tried to speak) Japanese only. It was quite difficult to understand everything, but I survived. Something was clear from the start... maybe even before coming. You know how in Germany the service can be quite impolite or unfriendly (you have complained about that too right?). Japan feels quite different. The customer is the king. It feels like the service person is like a "servant" to you (the words match). They use respect language only and bow after you`ve bought something. But I would not say it is warm or friendly. It is just a standard of politeness. I wonder if that is a good thing? :]

        The most interesting part of today (I guess not much happened today) was seeing a Japanese Doener (!!) Kebap store selling it for 500 Yen (5 Euro.. wow expensive). So no country is safe. The Doener will eventually conquer the world I guess... (haha)

        From tomorrow on, I will have classes at Meiji University in the middle of Tokyo. I will also be able to put up some interesting photos starting from tomorrow! So thats it for the moment.


Keep cool and leave a comment if you like. :]



2 comments:

  1. That's interesting how Japan seems to have a more detached standard of politeness, and America has a deceivingly open and friendly politeness, but is still standard in the sense that workers are taught to be nice and courteous haha. Also haven't seen a Doener in the U.S., but maybe one day...

    Crazy how you're in Japan now! Best of luck with classes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I do agree with you. Very good observation!! ^.^
    Japan definitely feels kind of detached. It is a politeness that is built on "status", I think. In America, the service also knows how to be "polite", but it seems more based on an equal relationship. It's more personal in a way. But of course in the modern world, everything seems to grow more anonymous including shopping right? :)

    Haha thanks for the good luck wishes!!!

    ReplyDelete